As I settle back into blogging after the month of sewing and saving, I’m still trying to figure out what I want for Sew Thrifty. At my core, I’m a business woman, but right now my heart is for my kiddos and homeschooling, and having this little blog on the side. Everything in me wants to care about growing this blog (stats, newsletter, great graphics and tons of pinned images), but I know that’s not for me right now. The other extreme is having an ultra-creative blog, but I’m really not that creative. I’m a stats nerd.
So, I’ve decided that I’m going to be me and have some creative and fun posts and then have some other posts more business-like (bullet points and graphs and all that fun stuff). And I’m going to try and not care about what people think. But we all know that’s nearly impossible. Just sayin’.
Today I finally get to share with you the crazy story of River’s flower girl dress!! [It’s long, I don’t blame you for skimming or just looking at the amazing photos my husband snapped.]
Let me start by saying I really had no clue what I was going to make for her. I wanted to go along with the colors of the wedding, but not be overkill. I wanted it to be fancier (i.e. not knit) since I tend to always sew basic items. But nothing was inspiring me.
Until 10 days before we left for the wedding. That was when my brother called to ask if River would be the flower girl! I was so excited (then
a bit stressed and freaking out) that I would get to make her a flower girl dress that inspiration was everywhere. And to top it off the colors of the wedding changed to neutral tones – browns, creams, khakis – with a rustic elegant theme. My initial desire to put some cowgirl boots on her was a bit too rustic for their taste, but I was able to settle on a look that I loved. Here was my inspiration dress.
Honestly, I look at this and think, wow, that’s a bit too Southern for me. But I actually like it. Plus, my friend has a paper pattern that is very similar to this, so I figured I could borrow it.
[Now, insert craziness]
My friend with the FREE pattern lives about 40 minutes away and we rarely see each other. This dress had to be completed in less than 10 days. We were leaving in 10 days, and I am not a fan of sewing late into the night the day before I leave on a big trip. So really it had to be made in about 3 days. Getting the free pattern from her just wasn’t going to work. But, she mentioned that they were on sale at my local Hancock Fabrics for $2. Sweet. I can handle $2 and a short trip to the store. Made it to the store, picked up the pattern, and headed home (without kids!). Later that night when I opened the pattern, I realize I had bought the child’s version instead of the toddler version!! Really?! They do that? I’m so spoiled with indie patterns that I just assume all patterns go from 2T-10 years. It’s late, the store is closed, there’s no going back to see if they even had the toddler version (and I’m pretty sure I bought the last one anyway). That’s when I realized the pattern is a bunch of rectangles with a bodice. I had already printed out the bodice to the (free!) Madeline Dress and it was very similar. Then I realized I could calculate my way through the pattern. [Squeal!] One of the biggest reasons I love sewing – all the math! After I accomplished all that I was so proud of myself and I could return the $2 pattern too. Boom.
Now for better part of the story – the fabric. A friend had gifted me boxes and boxes of her old fabric. Most was stuff I would never buy like linen, wovens, and (gasp) lace! After rummaging through it all, I found the exact fabrics I needed. The khaki cotton that I used for most of the dress was heavy enough for my girl not to damage it. The silky white fabric for the straps gave just enough elegance. And the lace….I could not have asked for a more perfect piece of fabric. The width of the lace was the exact amount to offer a slight gather. I did run out of the skinnier piece of lace, so I just attached it to the front instead of making a sash like the inspiration dress. And done, with 7 more days left to pack and finish Carpenter’s vest and dress shirt.
Then, once we got to the mountains River plainly decided she didn’t want to be the flower girl. Um…thanks. In the end, we were able to convince her to play a part in the ceremony, but once she did, she was outta there. [Thanks Aunt Jackie for watching her for the rest of the ceremony!]
After the ceremony, she was all about the flowers.
I don’t have a fancy little graphic for the time and cost. It took a while to gather all the materials, create my own pattern, get the fit right, and play around with the look at each stage, so it wasn’t a fast sew. However, the price was right – just about FREE. Thread probably cost 50 cents or so. All the fabric was handed down to me and the pattern was free too. And her headband (which she thankfully wore through the ceremony) was free too. I hot glued flowers from the same fabric as her dress and some other mint green that was gifted to me to some lace my mother-in-law gave me ages ago.
If you’re looking for my dress, that’s here. Baby girl only got a headband, and I’ll have Carpenter’s outfit up soon!